Sunday, October 16, 2011

BLOG POST ASSIGNMENT #8

This Is How We Dream Part 1 and 2


In these two videos (Part One & Part Two), Richard Miller explains how much things have changed when it comes to writing and researching. He describes our desktop as a workshop and we use Word Processing apps to write about our research. We no longer have to go to the library we can easily use the internet to find exactly what we are looking for.
While books in the library only have so many copies, the internet is full of different copies. We are now able to share our information and while 3 people could be looking at the same book in the library, millions can be looking online at the same book. Although the internet having these sources and information is so convenient and helpful, I hope the print copies will stay around. Internet is not always reliable and often crashes. In the case that a research paper is due in a week and my computer crashes I would go to the library.
I don’t think I am completely prepared to write with multimedia, but as I continue with my school and learn new things everyday about technology, I will be ready when the time is necessary. Although I do believe I am better prepared now than I have ever been before! As an educator I must learn to do use all multimedia tools available. Technology increases day to day and when I’m a teacher my students will already know what to do or I will need to teach them how to use the technology available. I will also need to recognize when a student knows more about technology than myself and learn from the student!

Carly’s Blog

Carly Pugh

OMG! Now I am nervous about creating my assignment! What an incredible thing! When I was viewing Mr. Miller’s video, I was thinking in terms of literal typing/writing words to be read. I was not even considering the use of videos to be a means of multimedia expression. Oh - the joys of learning something new! Now my wheels are spinning!

I get the idea that Carly was like a kid in a candy store--- so many ideas in that head of hers! Now I have that same feeling. Every week I am crushed under the amount of work I have, and I always save my EDM310 stuff for last. I guess because it is the most fun, yet most time consuming. I just don’t want to be thinking about that paper or that test or anything else – just the “fun stuff”.

Now – I am going to You Tube to see what I can find! Later Gator…

Chipper and EDM 310 for Dummies





I thought both of these videos were well thought out and had extremely important points to them. The video about Chipper was pretty funny. The moral of it was that you have to always do your work and do it on time. You cannot rely on someone else to do it for you. If this is the case, you will never make it far in life. The EDM 310 video, I thought, was well produced as well as had a good point. The main idea was that this class is difficult and can make you go crazy if you do not know how to use the tools and websites. Once they learned how to use them they realized how beneficial this class will be for all classes.

I have found that I am much more open minded towards social media in the classroom than I was before! My ideas are changing for what constitutes “teaching” in a classroom. I think long term learning by using the tools that a student uses for social networking in the classroom will have a positive effect on their ability to retain the knowledge! EDM310 is changing the way I think!

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

I think this video is about the need for educational reform. One of the first statements is made about what the shape our education is in. A commentator said education was ranked behind coal mining in IT development. I am not sure if that was a good argument to use, because coal mining is a very dangerous industry and there is a huge need for IT development to keep miners safe. Miners aren't dumb by any means and they absolutely need information about where they are working. They need knowledge about earth demographics for their job and to simply stay alive in those mines.
The statement that more stimulated learning occurs outside the classroom is, I believe, true. Learning outside can be reinforced with life experiences. Learning inside is not necessarily a bad thing. A student needs to be inside too for some structured learning. That concept may never go away. I will agree with the statement that "Technology is not a choice, it has created a world." The choice to use it will happen with me and my students because I am involved with them and speaking and showing the merits that it has. There are some people that say technology is a choice for them. I feel they will eventually get left behind or just die off. Harsh statement, I know, but I believe we are seeing it happen (Baldwin County Schools, for instance). I will agree one hundred percent that teachers have to connect with other teachers. Most teachers want to engage students with learning. Having a wealth of ideas that are coming from all over the globe can keep learning fresh. Students get bored easily and having a bank of resources can help to produce a student that will have a desire to learn for the rest of his/her life. As educators, we must "Learn to change, change to learn."
As parents (or prospective parents) and educators we need to ENGAGE our students through the technology they are already familiar with and then SHOW them how to use these items for an EDUCATIONAL purpose. This is my idea... I am trying to get other teachers to "but in" to my ideas. I have been surprised that I am having so much difficulty is convincing teachers that social media is a great way to ENGAGE a student...



No comments:

Post a Comment