Sunday, October 9, 2011

BLOG POST ASSIGNMENT #7





This video amazing and completely inspirational. Randy Pausch mentioned how he had reached his childhood dream, and he gave small tips for you to learn while hearing the story. He mentioned he had reached his dreams and now he is helping to enable the dreams of others. He said to enable dreams of others, become a professor. Being a professor may be one way to enable the dreams of others, but it is not the only way!

Mr. Pausch mentioned many skills that are useful in teaching, one being fundamentals. Fundamentals are useful for teaching; you must get the fundamentals or the fancy stuff won't work. Another tip was corrections; when somebody is doing wrong and nobody is correcting them, that means that they were given up on. Critics are good. A good quote was "experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." The next skill is learning. Most of what we learn, we learn indirectly (or by "head fake". For example, do we really want our kids to learn a sport like football, or do we want them to learn the aspects of the game like teamwork, sportsmanship, and perseverance. That is the head fake - the skills learned behind the scene.) Another skill is leadership; you don't have to be smart but you have to know how to lead. Then the concept of the brick wall, when you are stopped by something you keep trying if you really want something. Another skill mentioned was "don't get discouraged when somebody doesn't give you what you want." You should just give them some time, and they might surprise you or impress you and change their mind. The last skill is watch the way you say things. Instead of shutting something down and say that "I don't know"; you can say "I don't have enough information, let's hear more." (Something we definitely learn in EDM310!)

How do we enable the dreams of others? This video showed a good point about how students can do better than you think. For example, when he taught that class for the first year, and the students blew him away with their projects. He didn't know what to do, so he went to his mentor and asked "what am I supposed to do, they are past what I have planned to teach?" You go into the class and tell the students "that was good, but I know you all can do better". He also mentioned that he should not just set the bar anywhere, because that can limit the child's ability. The bar can always go higher. Using videos and technology to teach people is very useful. You need to make people self-reflecting; make them push themselves.

These are lessons that show what helps you achieve these dreams. The first lesson is the role of parents, mentors, and students. They push you to achieve. The second lesson was that you must tell your students to have fun. (Most students learn quicker when they think they are "just having fun"!) The third lesson was to never lose the child-like wonder. The fourth lesson that you must help others. The fifth lesson was that loyalty is a two-way street. The sixth lesson was to never give up. The seventh lesson was how do we get people to help you. The ways to get people to help you are: you can't get there alone, tell the truth, be earnest, apologize when you screw up, focus on others and not yourself. (Hey, these are great life lessons too!) The eighth lesson was to show gratitude. The ninth lesson was don't complain, just work harder. The tenth lesson was to be good at something; it just makes you valuable. The eleventh lesson was to find the best in everybody; no matter how long you have to wait for them to show it. The twelfth lesson was to be prepared: "luck" is where preparation meets opportunity.

I really enjoyed this lesson! I used to think I was way to old to continue to pursue my dreams - no more! I will be a fantastic teacher. I will not let anyone distract me from my goals. I have been completely enjoyed learning about Mr. Pausch. I hope others will too.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your very detailed post. It even reminded me of a few of the things I had forgotten from Dr. Pausch's lecture. I also liked the football analogy you used to describe the head fake. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina,

    There was a lot of good information in this lecture. I have to agree with Josh because I really liked your football analogy as well. Those skills we acquire indirectly can help in so many other aspects of our life, and we might not even realize it. And when he was speaking about his students going beyond his expectations, it reminded me of our podcast on Rafe Esquith and how Esquith always had very high expectations. It's not because he was mean, but because he knew his students had the potential to reach higher and they always did.

    I think you mentioned all of the key points in Randy Pausch's lecture and you also did a good job elaborating on them. I noticed a few punctuation errors, but overall you convey your thoughts very well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...do better then you think" than you think.

    Well done. I think you will incorporate many of Dr. Pauch's techniques into your teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dr. Strange! Changes made. Lana - I will try to look for the punctuation mistakes. I must admit punctuation is my weakness! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete