Sunday, October 2, 2011

BLOG POST ASSIGNMENT #6



Wendy Drexler: The Networked Student


In a video The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler the question is asked, "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?". So why does a networked student need a teacher? The student needs the teacher to be a:

  • Learning Architect
  • Modeler
  • Network Sherpa
  • Change Agent
  • Synthesizer
  • Connected Learning Incubator
  • Learning Concierge
Wendy provides an argument that the “networked student” of the future will not only still need a teacher, but will require a teacher that fulfills a variety of new modern and contemporary roles. I think that Wendy’s vision is an important component to a redefining of learning for the future.

Innovative and creative companies create physical environments where they are able to cultivate and foster creativity, innovation, collaboration, new designs, and 21st century problem solving. If we are going to provide students with the opportunity to connect their learning networks and collaborate with one another, then we must do away with the chair/desk systems lined up neatly in cohesive and geometric rows. We must be able to teach them how to network and collaborate with others. In order to teach these things we as teachers must first learn to use these things.


Wendy's video is found below. I would encourage all students, teachers and administrators to watch the video with an open mind and complete their respective due diligence to find out more.








A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)

It is interesting to compare the 7th graders PLN with my own PLN. I have been working on many different websites, articles, blogs and other internet resources to produce my own PLN. I was curious at how I would use this information other than just for my own reflections. After seeing this 7th graders presentation, I see that I can use my PLN for other things than teaching. I can use it to write papers for other classes and to organize my sources for class.

This presentation made me think about what I was choosing and what I would do with the items I was putting into my PLN. I now think I will go in and edit some of my choices! Not only do some editing, but probably some rearranging too!

1 comment:

  1. Well done.

    Don't get caught up in the method of organizing your PLN. It should contain lots of PEOPLE.

    ReplyDelete