Sunday, September 18, 2011

BLOG POST ASSIGNMENT #4

podcast image
Podcasting

This subject truly interests me. I love to learn and I have used podcasts many times in my former career. Although I have used a podcast before, I had no idea how to make a podcast or how a podcast could be used in a classroom. I was excited to learn the "how to's" of podcasting!


This was the beginning of my learning process and what better way to begin learning about creating a podcast that to begin at the beginning? In the blog Langwitches by Silvia Tolisano she sitting in for a first grade classroom where they are creating a read along podcast.

It is interesting that the kids really take to learning about the process of creating while they are learning. The children take an interest in re-recording their voice if they didn't like the way it sounded and that they were interested in the mechanics of the recording program. Another interesting thing that happened was that the students played with the emphasis in their voices for expressive purposes.



Mr Joe Dale explains some really great benefits of podcasting. One of things I hope I will be able to implement in my classroom is the use of a podcast mixed with a blog. I have a teenage daughter and I know that they absolutely love to see/hear themselves. I think a podcast is an intriguing thing to use in a classroom. You can get a student excited about the subject matter because you are allowing the student to be creative and you are allowing the student to be a part of the learning process for others.

Two other things I pulled from this blog. One - students can use a podcast of that day's lesson if they are absent. I love this - since my daughter sometimes misses class due to football and basketball seasons. By using a podcast the student gets to "be" in the classroom. This is important because sometimes a teacher will explain things more thoroughly in the classroom than he would when explaining the lesson to a student that missed that days lesson. This is a big plus for both the student and the teacher. The student get the identical lesson of the day and the teacher doesn't have to repeat himself! Two - parents can see/hear what their child is learning and how the child is doing in the classroom. This is exciting for me as a parent. I would be able to see/hear how my child is doing and how my child is participating in his own learning. I love all the possibilities!



Judy Schraf is a wealth of knowledge on podcasting. There is so much on her blog, you should be able to create a successful podcast just from her information! She basically organizes the usage of podcasts in your classroom. She lists possible subjects and gives and outline of how it can possibly play out in the the classroom.

My favorite thing she does it expresses multiple time that you must be able to use Audacity in order to create a good podcast. Then she gives you a helpful link. Judy Schraf is a plethora of information on using podcasting in the classroom. I really enjoyed her outline tutorial.


2 comments:

  1. Hello Gina,
    I really enjoy using Podcasts. They are a great tool for both inside and outside the classroom. I also enjoyed Judy Schraf's blog discussing podcasting as well. She gives you alotof details that can help anyone learn to use podcasting. Great post and great information.

    KaShondra Rudolph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thorough. Thoughtful. Well done. Your comments indicate these assignments helped prepare you for your podcast.

    One note: Audacity is not the only tool for podcasts. YouTube, GarageBand (Mac) and iMovie (Mac) are all good tools for producing a podcast.

    ReplyDelete